Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day 7

Hop 1

 

It's my last day of training with Budd.  Time to put it all together and really focus on perfection.  Up until this point Budd has been in my ear, and in my head for every single flight.  I've relied on his quick notes, and sometimes not so subtle suggestions on what I could be doing better.  I can recall times when I was too low, and would hear Budd say "Plan ahead!"  And then I would see what was happening and correct for it.  This hop was to be different.  Today, Budd said he wasn't going to say a word.  He was going to let me fly the airplane by myself as if I was the only one in it.  At that moment, the thought that went through my mind was:  Well, this is it.  This is where I show him I can do it, and that I've got it under control.  Now, that's not to say that I wasn't nervous about it.  I felt confident I could do it, and do it well, but I was very aware that every move I made was going to be judged and then critiqued.  It was time to get laser focused and do my very best.

First take off couldn't have been any better.  I lifted off so smooth, you wouldn't know I left the runway.  I climbed up to pattern altitude with the ball pegged in the middle.  It was then that I heard Budd begin to sing, "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" 

He didn't say "Feel your butt…", or "keep the ball in the middle…" or anything like that.  He just started to sing.  To me, there was no better form of approval than hearing Budd begin to sing.  I couldn't help but laugh.   So, with a smile plastered on my face, I made my crosswind turn/ Downwind turn, they kind of blur together in a Pitts since your pattern is so tight.  I flew downwind and hit my altitude and pulled the power back.  I was on altitude.. Well maybe just about 50ft. Low.  I turned base, rolled wings level, quick belly check, then rolled into final.  I was a wee bit high so I put in just a little bit of slip.  Once my decent was established, I was all ready to touch down. I leveled the wings and began a slow flare.   I lifted my head as high as I could get it, and quickly looked out both sides to get a better idea of my decent, and position on the runway.  I GREASED it.  It was the smoothest landing I made so far.  I mean it was like glass…   Budd came on and said.. "well do you want to quit now?"  I started laughing, partly because I was in shock that I had just landed so darn well, and partly because Budd always says the right thing at the right time.  I responded with.. "Why? Am I that much ahead?"  He nodded his head in agreement.  I taxied off the runway and we talked about what I could have done better.  You see, Budd doesn't just strive to make you a safe pilot, he strives to make you the best pilot you can be given the limited amount of time he has with you.  It's simply amazing to have been able to watch him work.   Then next few landings weren't nearly as good as the first, but they were all really good.  I can finally see my mistakes and correct for them much sooner.  By the end of the flight, I was telling Budd what I did wrong and how I can fix it.  All in all, it was by far the best flight I've had over the last 18.2 hours.   

 

Summary:

After 18 hours of training, and many more hours learning about Budd and his history in Aviation, I can honestly say that this week will be one of the most memorable and life changing.  I have learned more about how to truly "FLY" an airplane than I have in all my hours flying.  I'm a much better pilot coming out of this training, and a wiser one too.  I've been inspired by his ability to teach, and his technique for distributing information to his students.  His ability to tell you a story that has meaning and gives context to flying a Pitts.  I've learned how truly wonderful it is to love what you do for a living, and to be blissfully happy with every day your able to do it.  I've learned that Budd has more irons in the fire than any one I've ever met, yet he is totally sane.  I'm utterly impressed by his ability to keep all those balls in the air.  I've found that in many ways Budd and I have a lot of similarities in both personality and ideals.  He's an amazing instructor, and a Pitts Master.   I have finally checked off a dream of mine that I had since I was a boy.  I've learned to fly a Pitts Special.  I've learned how to make love more, and screw less…  I couldn't be happier with my accomplishment, or more excited about my next steps in aviation.  I couldn't have had a nicer man, or a better instructor to help me achieve my dream.   Before my training with Budd, I was one of many, now, I am one of few.  A few that can fly a Pitts, and more over, understand how to do it well.  I plan to take more lessons with Budd every time I make it down to Phoenix.  I know that no matter how good I get, or how much experience I gain, I can always learn more, and I can't think of a better person to learn from than Budd.   Thanks for all the hard work you put into me, the lessons you taught, the critiques, and above all the good company!   I had a wonderful time Budd, and I look forward to doing it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment